Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The People of Mianyang and Chengdu

In early spring of 1997 I visited Chengdu and Mianyang in Sichuan Province, China.. Those cities are much in the news in recent days following the magnitude 7.9 earthquake with epicenter not far from Mianyang.

I had a wonderful time there and would love to return. The images I see on the news and the web from there are tragic and heartbreaking.

I am posting these pictures of some of the wonderful people I encountered there in hope that wherever they are today, they are safe and well.

To my Flckr photosetNote: Clicking on the photos will take you to it’s page in my Flickr photoset where I have posted more photos from my visit there.

Today these young schoolgirls could be high school or university age. Are they still able to smile as they did in 1997?

From China View

MIANYANG, Sichuan, May 15 (Xinhua) -- A teenage girl has told how she and her classmates sang pop songs together as they lay trapped and injured in the ruins of their high school after the massive earthquake in southwest China on Monday.

To my Flckr photoset

To my Flckr photosetThe Scissor Sharpener

To my Flckr photosetMianyang Folksinger

To my Flckr photosetChengdu Bartender. He was very proud of his city and more than willing to have his picture snapped but he turned his ID badge around first.

Please see: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/14/content_8167930.htm
MIANYANG, Sichuan, May 14 (Xinhua) -- Death toll in the earthquake-stricken Mianyang City jumped from 3629 to 5,430 by 11:40 a.m. on Wednesday.
Information from the quake control and relief efforts headquarter of Mianyang City said Monday's earthquake also left 1,396 people missing, 18,486 more buried in debris, and 23,235 others injured.
See Also:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/14/content_8170751.htm

http://www.cctv.com/english/20080514/101800.shtml

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinajournal/2008/05/13/in-mianyang-street-lights-lit-relative-calm/

Please visit my Mianyang and Chengdu, 1997 photo set where you can see more photos of Mianyang and her people.

No comments:

Post a Comment